June 3, 2013 1 Comment
I found the original recipe in The “What’s for Dinner?” Solution by Kathi Lipp and adapted it applying some gluten-free magic. Once you have these meatballs in your freezer, this becomes a quick go-to meal for any weekday dinner.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup gluten free bread crumbs (I save crusts and heels from my Udi’s Whole Grain Bread loafs and make fine crumbs with a coffee grinder)
- 1 TBSP no-salt seasoning (I love the Kirkland Signature brand from Costco)
- 2 eggs
Mix together all the ingredients. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Take heaping spoonfuls of beef mixture and roll into 1-inch diameter balls. Makes about 36 meatballs. Place on cookie sheet and cover with plastic wrap. Keep in freezer overnight, until frozen. Pack frozen meatballs into two 1-quart size freezer bags and store in freezer. To serve, brown meatballs in oil in a skillet, and cook until they are no longer pink in the middle. Use with your favorite spaghetti sauce and gluten-free spaghetti noodles, or try the recipe below.
- 16 or so gluten free freezer meatballs (see recipe above)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 TBSP butter
- 1 TBSP sweet rice flour (or corn starch)
- 1 cup gluten free beef stock (check labels, I like Better Than Boullion – just NOT the low sodium kind – it has barley malt!)
- 2 TBSP red wine
Brown the meatballs in olive oil. Place browned meatballs on foil lined baking sheet, cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes (while you prepare the sauce). In the same skillet, saute chopped onions and sliced mushrooms until soft. Remove veggies and melt butter in the skillet. Stir in sweet rice flour, then add beef stock and wine. Simmer until slightly thickened, then add back onions, mushrooms and meatballs. Serve with mashed potatoes or gluten-free pasta, and a green vegetable. Super yummy!